Well, another is in the books. And for the MSU players, it’s been quite the day.
First, classes started. Then they learned offensive coordinator Woody McCorvey is out at least a week following surgery for unspecified reasons. And of course, there was practice. And let’s just say it was warm.
As for the tidbits . . .
• I asked Sylvester Croom if there was an update on the right tackle slot, and he said he was still pondering it, but noted more than likely Mark Melichar against Louisiana Tech and that Quentin Saulsberry will be the backup.
• Jimmie Holmes (back), Charles Burns (several minor things) and Tim Bailey (ankle) did not practice.
• Trevor Stigers still hasn’t been ruled eligible by the NCAA clearinghouse.
• Eric Richards will handle kickoff duties, and Croom said don’t be surprised if he does some punting and share the placekicking role with Adam Carlson, depending on distance. “How we use him beyond that will depend on the other guys” Croom said in regards to Richards. “But I wouldn’t hesitate to use Richards any time.”
• With the start of school, the roster was allowed to swell to 125 to accommodate walk-ons . Included in that mix were Anthony Johnson and John Paul Alford.
• With McCorvey out, Croom assumes the offensive coordinator role. “I’m calling the plays, coaching the quarterbacks. I had a full day today, and now I’ve got to go do my head coaching duties. But, I’m going to have to do it until Woody gets back. We’ll see how good a coach I am, I’ve got to go back to work now.”